Friday, March 12, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Every week before I go to the grocery store I ask my family what they want for dinner in the upcoming week. Some weeks we shoot through ideas and are done quickly but most weeks we can't think of anything. We really struggle with it. So, because of that I have decided to blog our dinners. I will attach recipes (unless they are in a book) so that when we are trying to think of dinners we have a place to go for inspiration. Also, we eat a lot of beans and many people have asked me what I do with them but when I am asked I freeze and can't think of any. Hopefully this will be a great place to get some delicious bean ideas.

Well, let's get started. Last night we ate Black Bean Soup with bread and butter on the side. We have outgrown our recipe so I have had to double it. Here is the bigger version:

Black Bean Soup

1 onion, finely chopped or 2 Tbsp dehydrated onions
5 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
4 cups stock
1 cup dry black beans (about 8 cups cooked), soaked, cooked, and drained
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp lemon juice or juice from ½ of a lemon
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water


1. In a pot combine the onions, garlic, and stock. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 cup beans, salt, and cumin. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Puree soup using either immersion blender or a regular blender (do it in batches).
4. Pour pureed soup back to the pot. Add remaining beans and lemon juice. This should be a thicker soup, but if it is looking too dry, add some water in ¼ cup increments.
5. In a small bowl with a lid combine the cornstarch and cold water, replace lid, and shake until combined. Pour cornstarch mixture into soup and stir continually until thickened and heated through.

Makes 8 servings
1860 total calories (232 Calories per serving)

1 comment:

christi said...

I am so excited to get some ideas for our family. We have the same problem with not being able to think of something new to make for dinner. I will be waiting.