Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Bit Behind

Sorry I am so behind. Here is a quick run down to get us caught up.


Friday (3/19) - Tuna Melts and peas
We make tuna melts by essentially making grilled cheese with canned tuna (about 1/2 can of tuna per sandwich) and mustard. The peas were just frozen peas I heated up in the microwave.

Saturday (3/20) - Taco Bowls
Think something like Chipotle. This is much like it sounds. Take a bowl. Add rice then cooked beans (any variety, we like black and/or pinto), taco sauce (in a small saucepan heat 1 can tomato sauce, 1-2 cloves garlic, and about 1 Tbsp chili powder for about 10-15 minutes, when heated through add about 1 tsp salt), cooked corn, cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, olives... Really, once you have the beans and rice you can add anything you would like. Just think of what you would want on a taco or nachos and toss it on. You like avocados? Throw some on. It is that easy. My boys love it and always ask for seconds.

Sunday (3/21) - Roasted Cauliflower with Pasta and Lemon Zest and cornbread
This was delicious! We found it in the November 2009 Martha Stewart Living magazine. My family tends not to like onions but I used 1/2 of a red onion in this and they liked it. We did not have capers so I left those out. We also didn't have lemons to zest so I added a splash of lemon juice, which did not distribute itself evenly. Dry parsley works OK but fresh would be better. Still, it was a great dish that I intend to have more often. I think it will make a nice light spring/summer dish.

Monday (3/22) - Creamy Potato Soup and Bread
I don't really have a recipe for this potato soup. I cut up and boil a bunch of potatoes (I like it best with unpeeled red potatoes). When the potatoes are soft (easily pierced with a fork) drain them. Mash potatoes with a potato masher (you want some slightly larger chunks so it isn't like eating mashed potatoes). Add minced garlic and desired liquid(s) (cream and/or milk and/or stock) to get the desired consistency. Heat until warmed through. Just prior to serving add salt, pepper, and a touch of red pepper flakes. Garnish individual bowls with cheddar cheese and fresh chives. You can also add some chopped cooked bacon.

Tuesday (3/23) - Spicy Indian Fish, Carrots with Grated Coconut, Naan
Our 6-year old son has often told us that he doesn't like spicy food, "except for spicy fish." I was really happy with this meal because, in my opinion, it was well rounded and it went together well (Indian theme). Both the fish and carrots were from the book Cooking the Indian Way.

No comments: