Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pizza! Pizza!


I knew a girl in school who didn't like pizza. To this day, I am baffled. How can you not like pizza? Sure, there are some pizzas that are better than others but, really, who doesn't love a good pizza. Last night we had a homemade vegetarian pizza. It was the third time in six weeks that we have had this and it doesn't get old. We got the recipe out of the book, 500 Pizzas and Flatbreads by Rebecca Baugniet, which I checked out at the library six weeks ago. There are a lot of great pizzas in this book. The dough works very well with whole wheat flour and tastes like something you would find in a pizza joint. So far we have tried the vegetarian pizza, garlic & olive oil pizza (which is a great garlic bread), broccoli & mushroom calzone, cheddar & bacon stuffed pizza (which was like a quiche with bread on all sides), brooklyn gourmet pizza, chicago deep-dish pizza, neapolitan pizza, focaccia, ciabatta bread, barley breakfast bread, cornbread, streusel pizza (a great at home version of Valentino's dessert pizzas), and chocolate chip cookie crust pizza. I think our favorite pizza was the vegetarian pizza with black olives (a love of my sons), bell peppers, mushrooms, and tomato slices. The sauce that goes on it (also from the book) is wonderfully flavorful but not overpowering. We love, love, love the streusel pizza with blackberries and raspberries on top. This book proves that you can have delicious pizza made from scratch at home. Now I just need to convince my husband I need a wood-fire oven.

No comments: