Saturday, May 4, 2013

Daniel's Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting


Our friend's son, Daniel, just turned 8.  For his birthday party he wanted blueberry cupcakes with blueberry frosting.  I welcome a challenge but, I have to admit, I was not quite sure how this endeavor would turn out.  After a brief Google search I found this recipe, which seemed like a good start.  The cupcakes turned out light and fluffy (I used all-purpose flour as opposed to my default whole wheat).

For the frosting I decided to get a little fancy and took some inspiration from Martha.  She called for blueberry jam, which I didn't have so the night before I cooked down 2 cups of blueberries and 1/2 cup of sugar then strained it to get out the seeds and skins.  After whipping up a simple cream cheese frosting, I spooned a bit of the strained blueberries on the frosting in the bowl and, without stirring, scooped it into a piping bag.  As I piped, the frosting and blueberries swirled themselves together.  It was messy but delicious and, if I do say so myself, beautiful.  I hope the birthday boy agrees!


For future reference: cupcakes 133 calories each, frosting 39 calories per cupcakes; 172 calories per frosted cupcake

No comments: